Dan is a James B. Duke Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Economics at Duke University. His latest book, PayOff, explores the lies we tell ourselves and the forces that influence our behavior. He developed this passion for helping people live more sensible and rational lives after suffering a tragic accident where he was badly burned. The extended hospital stay and subsequent painful experience having the bandages removed caused Dan to become extremely interested in irrationality. His work is dedicated to understanding why good people with good intentions are consistently doing the wrong things.
Dan and I discuss the theory that humans are incapable of thinking rationally about money. He believes that we repeatedly make the wrong decision, but research can help change that. We talk about how the world helps us make poor decisions about money. Your money problems may not be entirely your fault. Social norms, the pain we experience when paying cash, and new technology that encourages us to think less all impact our ability to make the best choices. He talks directly to the Profit Boss® audience about why women struggle with money, why we continue to make financial mistakes, and what we can do to start building wealth like our male counterparts.
Listen To The Full Interview:
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Social norms for women that may impact their lack of involvement in the stock market.
- Why people aren’t capable of thinking rationally about money and what they can do to maximize GOOD decisions.
- Dan’s theories about why women are still financially disadvantaged.
- How behavior modification can address the looming retirement crisis.
- Why his newest book, Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes our Motivations is a valuable resource for parents, employers and everyone looking to motivate themselves or other people.
Featured On The Show:
- Connect with Dan: DanAriely.com | Twitter | Facebook
- Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes our Motivations
- (Dis)Honesty – The Truth About Lies
Don’t forget to join our free private Profit Boss® community on Facebook!
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!