One of the most important lessons I hope you take away from this podcast is this: you’ve got to protect your assets when you get them.
Why do all the hard work to build up financial security if you’re not going to protect it, right?
So the point of today’s episode is to express that the same principle applies to your business, too; you’ve got to make sure you and your business are legally protected from any unforeseen lawsuits, so you’re not blindsided into losing what you worked for so hard.
For this advice, we’re thrilled to welcome attorney Lin Eleoff. Lin is the brains behind Cover Your Assets Online, where she has used her experience as a business lawyer to compile a DIY legal framework for your online business, saving you loads of money and hours of legal legwork. Motivated by a desire to help independent businesswomen like herself, she’s worked to take the fear and confusion out of the laws that are designed to protect you and your consumers.
Lin begins with a backstory about how she got into this niche as a lawyer and a life coach, and I share my own scary experience with the laws of online content. Lin then breaks down some important legal terms for us and then explains the basics about how to protect yourself and your content online. We talk about what can happen if you don’t take the time to set up these precautions, as well as how you can protect your personal assets from harm.
Listen To The Full Interview:
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- The low-down on trademarks, copyrights, and what you need to do to protect your original creations from legal claims.
- What to know before you hire a web developer, and how to make sure you don’t lose the rights to your own website!
- Why being sued can have a big impact on your business even if you didn’t do anything wrong.
- How to reduce your risk of being sued.
- The 3 documents you absolutely MUST have on your website to protect your assets.
- How to find simple contracts and simplify the entire legal process.
Featured On The Show:
- Connect with Lin: Cover Your Assets Online
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Creative Commons 0 License (CC0) FAQ
Don’t forget to join our free private Profit Boss® community on Facebook!
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!